Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday 4 June 2009

It is called 'Aditi' talk

It feels great when your little one starts talking - properly in sentences - in a language not just understood by the mom and dad, but by everyone. Until about 18 months Aditi was happy to 'point and talk', and I almost always seemed to understand what she said. That was a huge relief compared to the initial months when crying was the norm always. Thanks to her nursery, she started speaking in sentences pretty soon. And for a while now, she can have a complete conversation and be pretty much understood by everyone around her. She learns new words everyday. And is extremely happy to use them in her sentences.
Rather than just saying the word aloud, she usually likes to say "It is called xxxx". And she can understand every word of what we speak in my mother tongue. She still finds it difficult to make sentences and use them in my language, which is not what I wanted, but I think as long as she can understand and respond to what we speak, it should be okay for now. I'll gradually build up her confidence and slowly get her to speak in my language.
Continued after 2 weeks....
I'm usually greeted with a 'I dont like this Amms' or a 'I dont want this Amma' especially when I go near her with a cup of milk. What is it that happens to kids when the transition from bottle cup takes place? My child loved her bottle. That would actually be an understatement. She loved the bottle so much that it took me almost five months to make her give up her bottle completely. I managed to completely wean her away from the bootle only when she was about two years old.
And back to the point of talking, books are her favorite. They have always been so. And she now reads sentence(more so recites them from memory) from every single book around the house. Its good that we can borrow upto 15 books from our local library on her card. We make full use of it. Evenings are spent reading every page of all the books. And books give her company during breakfast, lunch and dinner. Literally every meal that she has at home will be with the help of books.
And the pram has been bid goodbye. For almost two months, we have been walking to and from the bus stop. On rare occasions when its raining heavily, we use the pram. Otherwise its walk or carry. The 'carrying' bit is not so often, except when she sees a dog or cat too close to her for comfort or on days, when she's really tired. And I gladly oblige. We do the typical mother-daughter thing and chat on our way to and from the bus stop - about everything we see on the road - the cars, birds, other children playing in the compound/pavement, the occasional biker, just about everything. The only problem is that I can no longer do any shopping at lunch time and safely out the bags away in the pram basket. Since we already have enough bags to carry aka my office bag, her nursery bag and Aditi herself, shopping at lunch time has come to a standstill! But I do enjoy walking and chatting with my little girl. Reminds me of the time when I would drive my mom around.
I finally managed to change the header, since the summer has finally arrived in Sheffield.

No comments: