Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday 10 June 2009

Nursery Rhymes

For a very long time, Aditi was uninterested with the telly. I was not too disappointed, for I am not a fan myself, although the daddy loves the black box. I was glad that the addiction to TV was limited to one member of the family. We bought a nursery rhymes DVD on our previous India trip and I have tried to get Aditi's attention once in a while. But she would never respond and all my efforts were in vain. Her interest remained in the two dozen books that form her mini library at home.A couple of weeks back, I picked up a nursery rhymes book from the library. Our library allows us to pick 15 books on the child's card, with no penalty for non-renewals, and we make full use of it. We usually have atleast ten to twelve books from the library all the time at home. And the rhymes book became her favourite - at breakfast, dinner and sleep time. She'll usually pick an object to take with her to bed - usually a book or a doll or even a pen or her watch. And for a while now, it’s been this nursery rhymes book. So the other day, I tried my luck again with the DVD and suddenly her eyes were glued onto the TV. she was watching every action, trying to imitate them and sing along to every rhyme - half of which she's never heard before. She was so absorbed that she did not notice me leave the room and that’s something for she ALWAYS follows me wherever I go. And I'm extremely glad that this has finally caught her interest.Advantages: I don’t have a little lamb following me around the house. Milk and dinner are done at a superfast pace when watching this DVD. Usually getting her to finish her milk is a very BIG problem. The freedom of not having to sit with her and entertain her all the time is making me happy. And she's learning to sing the rhymes properly(with the tune and the words) and is excited about it.Disadvantages: The only thing so far is dad cannot watch his favourite programmes and the nursery rhymes is the only thing that gets played repeatedly on the telly when the little girl is around. May be I should move the DVD player upstairs and get Aditi to use the smaller TV.

3 comments:

Miss M said...

Aditi sounds exactly like my niece!

Dinner while watching a dvd of elmo. And lunch too!

First time here. :)

Tharini said...

Hey! :)

How have you been doing? Havent heard from you in a while. Have also tried several times to add ur blog to my reader (Sharpreader) and it cant due to some error inthe feeds. Is there anyway you can look into that?

Hoope all is going well at your end.

Aditi's Album said...

@Miss M: Welcome. It was short-lived though. Now her interests have changed and she wants to watch normal TV programmes that we do.
@ Tharini: Have been busy at work that the blog has taken a backseat. I have been following your spiritual journey and deriving the much needed energy to see me through. Shall look into the feeder problem.