Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday 4 August 2008

Walking with the pram

I am a huge fan of public transport and this country has some very good links. Anyway the extremely high parking rates makes it impossible to drive to the city centre where I work. So we take the bus, I drop off the little one at her nursery, walk to my workplace and the same routine follows in the evening. Today as we were walking back from the bus stop towards home in the evening, the child got a bit upset and started humming, I think she was probably hungry.

The summer vacation has begun and the school going kids go bored.The sun outside is shining and they hang out on the pavement most of the time. Today a group of kids, about 6-8 years old were standing by the road. And they tried to imitate Aditi. Going aaaaaaa, eeeeee and all kind of sounds to be followed by Early in the morning - As if I did not understand what they really meant. I usually turn a deaf ear and a blind eye to those on the road, but today they were having fun at my child's expense and I was rather disturbed. One kid started and the rest followed and continued doing it until we were far far away. As usual, I walked off without battling an eyelid.

Why do these kids still practise racism so strongly? Its as if its in their blood and wont go away at all. On the other hand, I know of prefectly nice people, who give up their seats in the bus when they see a mother struggling with a child or baby. Anyway I was mightily upset and this kept ringing in my ears. So I decided to vent out through this outlet and get it out and done with. Children in my opinion should be taught against colour and creed, but its not to be expected in this country - who gave us our independence many years ago, but there's still a small population that thinks of us as their slaves. Some day in the future, I hope they realize their mistake and turn a new leaf...

5 comments:

Mama - Mia said...

awww! racism at such a young age??!!

thats really sad!!

dontcha worry! am sure things will change eventually!!

cheers!

abha

Aditi's Album said...

thanks abha. Thats so sweet of you

Anonymous said...

Sweetie, i am not sure they were being racist. I think they were just being kids-looking for verbs to add to their poem-"this is the way the baby cries, so early in the morning". I am sure you've heard of that rhyme. But again, you were there, maybe there was a hidden nuance to the whole incident.

mynanhipari said...

awww sweetie...don't worry as anon says maybe the kids were making silly sounds and singing the rhyme.

On a separate note - this time I was travelling to India thru LHR and I did notice really mean attitude of some group of brits both while going and coming back. I felt really bad of how they made fun of a old white lady who was rushing to her gate but tripped on the strap of her cabin bag and fell down. The whole group was imitating her and laughing when she fell right on her face...I felt really bad about the way they made fun of her. And this brit group was a big family with grandparents, parents and children. What are the parents and grandparents teaching their children by doing this?
I would say even in US there's racism, but I have never seen anyone laugh when someone trips and falls down. Either they will ignore if they are not interested or they will offer some help.

Sorry for the long post...but your post made me remember that incident.

Aditi's Album said...

Anon - HAving lived here for over 4 years, I am pretty sure I can differentiate kids' attitude otwards an Asian. If they were just singing silly rhymes, they would usually smile as I whizzed past and not point to my little one on the pram and laugh out loud - pretending to sing the rhyme. Neway its almost forgotten, but thanks for letting me think that way.

Mynanhipari - Yep, some here still think us as slaves and go on to comment right on our face. But thankfully they thrive only in certain pockets and if we avoid them, we'll be fine.