Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday 1 May 2008

When mom fell ill..

..dad took charge of the household.

In the last 15 months I have never seen mom fall ill, so this was new and surprising to me.Come Monday and amma was sick at work. Thankfully appa had finished his weekend of nights and was off for a couple of days, which came in handy and helped us prefectly. Dad came to pick me up from the nursery and mom joined us too. One look at her face and we could see that she was not keeping well. As she dragged herself home, Dad made it clear that he would take care and ordered mom to take rest. Dad made some great chai for mom and decided to cook dinner for us. Mom fed me my milk and took me upstairs to get some sleep. I was playing beside her on the bed while she tried to sleep. After an hour of lying down and not being able to really sleep, mom decided to feed me dinner. Dad meanwhile had prepared excellent pepper rasam and vegetable fry. The rasam was so good and made with so much love and care that mom could not resist letting me taste some. Yummy yummy rasam along with my usual paruppu sadam and boiled vegetables.
Dad was quick to do the dishes, pack my bag ready for the next day, clean the table and kitchen worktop - much to the delightment of my mom. Dad would usually not bother to be around in the kitchen and when he replicated dinner exactly like mommy style, mommy was pretty amused. Dad tried to feed me dinner so that mom could rest, but I stubbornly refused to let daddy take over. Mom then fed me and off we were to sleep again. This time the good girl I am when it comes to sleep - I slept beside mommy and off we were to dreamland in a couple of minutes.
When mom went to have dinner, dad had laid the table so neatly and arranged the items that it brought tears to her eyes. After dinner, mom returned to catch some sleep. Through the night, dad was so nice to mom, who was in a pretty bad state. Dad brought her water when needed, he prepared my night time horlicks, covered mom with extra blankets when she suddenly started shivering at midnight, fed her tablets, brought her Iodex when the cramps troubled her (oh yes, mommy has pretty bad cramps - not just during pregnancy - but they are eternal cramps which never seem to go away. The only way to keep them at bay is to take calcium tablets everyday) and took great care of her throughout the night.
The next morning mom decided to take the day off and since dad was at home anyway, she had company too. Mom could not open her eyes until 7AM. I woke up at about 6:30, but was quietly playing beside her and waited for mom to get up and brush my teeth. Dad woke up too inspite of hardly having slept for a few hours and took me downstairs as mom was too weak to even carry me down the stairs. I drank my milk and was playing happily. After a short discussion, it was decided to send me to nursery that day - a little later than usual and dad helped mom to get me ready. He dropped me at the nursery, took mom to the doctors, shopped for groceries and mom got some much needed rest.I must metion that mom was pretty impressed with how dad managed the whole situation so well.
When dad came to pick me up at the nursery, I wondered why mom had not joined us as was the regular routine. I was delighted to see mom waiting for me at home and we had a great evening together. The next day things were back to normal - except for mom's health, but we went back to nursery and office. Dad was really the highlight of this post for he managed everything so well that it was almost as smooth as mom always does. Mom plans ahead, but dad jumped in as the situation demanded and surprised us.
This is Aditi updating my blog until amma recovers completely from her fever, cold and cough.

2 comments:

Mama - Mia said...

awwwww! :)

get well soon aditi's mommy! and kudos to daddy-o for being so perfect! :)

mummyjaan said...

Awww, hope Mom's better soon. It's good of you and Dad to take care of her. Get well soon!