Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday 26 November 2008

The car driving test

I have been learning to drive in this country for over a year(Does that sound too long? Not much if you consider that we are on our own here, and Prashanth works on weekends, so I only get to go when he's at home to take care of the child. Minus the 6 week long vacation to India and a total of 8 weeks off from my instructor on various holidays). I managed to take about 32 lessons when my intructor declared that I was ready to give the test. So I booked the test and awaited the grand day eagerly. We were to have an hours practise before the test and I wasn't too bad during this session. We then went to the test centre, waited for the examiners to arrive.
An elderly examiner came and called out my name. I had requested my instructor to come along with me during the test(this is optional). After the usual eye-check tests, we walked out to the car. I checked with the examiner if my instructor could accompany us. In the car, I was asked a few safety questions about the car(which I had memorized from the book) and then we started. The test itself lasted longer than usual for about 55 minutes. I was told it would be around 35-40 minutes. The test was really difficult going by normal standards as we hit around a dozen or more major roundabouts, hit the motorway twice and drove at around 70mph, went through the dual carriageways(@60 mph) and I thought I would almost fail the test, when I had to turn right at the roundabout, and a long queue of cars were coming from the right. I simply could not move to the right lane, but at the last moment, I somehow managed to squeeze in. Another one that I thought was a major mistake, which turned out to be a minor one was stalling. We were on a slope waiting at a pedestrain signal and when the lights turned green, the car in front of me stalled. It took me a while to realize and I stalled right behind him. I chose the test just after lunch around 2:30 when I thought the roads would be reatively quiet, but that day seemed quite the opposite. I also had to stop twice for school patrols, and wait for children to cross the road. We finally returned to the test centre and I waited for the examiner to reveal the result. I was shocked and surprised when he remarked that "I am pleased to tell you that you have passed the test". I wasn't sure if I had heard it right, but was grinning from ear to ear. After completing a few more formalities/paper-work, I got out of the car and my driving instructor congradulated me. I still could not believe my ears, but kept questioning my instructor, who remarked that all my blunders were minor and although I was not satisfied with the test myself - it was definitely not one of my best trips - I have passed the driving test. Yaaay!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey..congrats..enjoy driving...

Anonymous said...

Congrats on passing the driving test, take care on the roads. Your little one is very cute.

Aditi's Album said...

Thanks unknown ravings.

thanks TDT.Will take care

Mama - Mia said...

yaaayyyy!!! :D

i should also get behind the wheel and learn again!

so now you can happily drive around!!!

enjoy!

cheers!

abha

ps: love the new header!

noon said...

Visiting here after a long time. OMG your lil on looks so cute - so chubby. Want to just pinch her cheeks. Congratulations on the license. It is a great feeling indeed when you get it. I was not asked to drive on the highway when I got mine - thank heavens - that would have been scary - to have to drive on the highways when I know it is a test! :)

Aditi's Album said...

Thanks abha. Its a freedom from havign to use the public transport.

Thanks noonie. IT helps now cos its winter and its getting terribly difficult to manage Aditi on the bus. I driveo nly iwhti nthe city and haven't actually driven on the highways yet.